Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"Photographic Sonatas" are a Psychological tour de force

Inspired by my love for classical music and The Cinema, these images are created by using the same compositional means. In the Cinema, edited and spliced film clips follow each other in succession creating a visual narrative. We the viewer must interpret the motion picture and decide for ourselves its meaning. In my PHOTOGRAPHIC SONATAS, I require the viewer to emotionally connect separate photographs that make up each SONATA. By juxtaposing them I want to elicit an emotional and psychological response. I have made no attempt to merge the individual photographs that make up each SONATA in the manner of say Jerry Uelsemann. I want the viewer to know that each SONATA is composed of different photographs. Like a dream bits and pieces of reality are remembered and assembled into each SONATA. This requires that the viewer form their own narrative rather than me supplying it. Like a dream they can only be explained in emotional terms. In classical music, giving musical works numbers instead of titles us common practice (Sonata No.2, Symphony No.6 etc.). Using only numbers allows an open ended investigation of this compositional method and is unlimited in its possibilities. (Domenico Scarlatti the Italian Baroque Composer wrote 555 Sonatas) Ideas in film and music follow each other in succession. I have applied this principle and use a generic form of 2,3 or 4 juxtaposed photographs to achieve each SONATA. While I do not believe I have been influenced by other artists, one can find similar emotion in the works of Bunuel and David Lynch.

No comments:

Post a Comment